In conjunction with The Healthcare Association of New York State (HANYS) and Fager Amsler Keller and Schoppmann (FAKS), MLMIC is pleased to host the 2018 Healthcare Law Review Webinar on Thursday, June 14, at 10:30 a.m. This 60-minute complimentary webinar, presented by an attorney from FAKS, will provide an overview of recent legal developments that impact healthcare delivery, with a special focus on Lavern’s Law. To participate, please register online here.
The webinar will cover:
- the effects of Lavern’s Law and the risk management strategies that can address the extended statute of limitations for failure to diagnose cancer;
- the amendment that expands possible venues where a lawsuit can be filed;
- recent court decisions involving a physician’s duty to non-patients, wrongful birth, continuous treatment, discovery of Facebook accounts and discrimination in the workplace;
- the liability of resident physicians in two recent court decisions;
- the NYS DOH treatment guidelines for prescription of antibiotics to adult and pediatric patients and how clinical guidelines differ from the standard of care; and
- the risks of altering information in a patient’s medical record.
New York State is one of the most challenging venues for the practice of medicine, and recent legislative and case law developments have made liability concerns even greater for healthcare providers and facilities. Maintaining awareness of these changes and applying strategies to mitigate risks may assist in reducing liability exposures and help protect you and your organization.