The MSSNY House of Delegates meeting is less than two weeks away! As part of CME Day on April 21, 2023, MLMIC will be offering three exciting educational programs. Please join us for any or all of the following webinars:
Addressing the Needs of Your LGBTQ Patients (1 p.m. – 2 p.m.)
The lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) population encounters unique challenges associated with healthcare. This presentation will highlight LGBTQ healthcare disparities and emphasize the importance of creating and affirming an inclusive environment for this population while treating each person as a unique individual.
At the end of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- identify the inequalities associated with the care of LGBTQ patients,
- discuss recent legislation affecting LGBTQ healthcare,
- utilize strategies to communicate effectively with the LGBTQ patient and
- implement measures to mitigate liability risks associated with treating this patient population.
Effective Use and Supervision of Advanced Practice Providers (2 p.m. – 3 p.m.)
Research suggests that nurse practitioner and physician assistant jobs will grow exponentially over the next decade. This growth has led to an increase in medical malpractice litigation. This presentation will address the scope of practice and liability risks associated with supervising advanced practice providers and offer best practices to reduce the potential claims associated with their care.
Upon completion of this program, participants will be able to:
- differentiate the scope of practice for nurse practitioners and physician assistants,
- interpret MLMIC claims date for advanced practice providers,
- evaluate the common allegations asserted in medical malpractice cases that include advanced practice providers and
- apply risk management principles and best practices to mitigate the risks of supervising these professionals.
2023 Healthcare Law Review (3 p.m. – 4 p.m.)
During this session, Nancy May-Skinner, Esq., managing attorney of Mercado May-Skinner, will provide an overview of the recent legislative and case law developments that impact healthcare in New York State. At the end of the presentation participants will be able to:
- evaluate the impact of proposed wrongful death legislation on healthcare professional liability cases,
- understand the impact of the latest case law on Covid immunities,
- identify the potential erosion of Quality Assurance protections and its impact on healthcare providers and
- discuss recent legal developments that impact the practice of medicine, including the doctrine of informed consent and physician liability for the acts of advanced practice providers.
Register for any of the webinars here.
MLMIC Insurance Company (MLMIC) is accredited by the Medical Society of the State of New York (MSSNY) to provide CME for physicians.
MLMIC designates this live internet activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.