MLMIC’s risk management team continues to enhance its resources for physicians and hospitals. “Risk Management Tips – Volume II,” the second installment of a brochure series, follows the widely well-received Risk Management Tips – Volume I. These Tips are designed to address common issues in the office practice and provide practical guidance to promote patient safety and reduce exposure to liability.
You can now download newly updated risk management tips in two different ways. First, we have released a 16-page PDF that contains easy-to-implement recommendations related to the following topics:
- using chaperones during physical examinations
- promoting communication between referring and consulting physicians
- handling patients’ complaints properly
- managing drug seeking patients
- communicating and following-up critical test results
- promoting adherence to a medication regimen
- communicating with low health literacy patients
- discontinuing the physician-patient relationship properly
- treating patients with whom you have a close relationship
- reducing the risk of the “copy and paste” function in electronic health records
Additionally, each tip is also available for individual download here. After clicking on a tip from the list, you have the option to download it by clicking on “Download as PDF” at the bottom of each tip. These individual PDFs make it easy to share risk management recommendations with colleagues and other office staff as you review and reinforce policies and protocols within your practice or facility.
As always, for guidance regarding a specific situation, please contact MLMIC’s Risk Management Department at (518) 786-2815, weekdays 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, or click here.