In addition to having an exhibit table at the upcoming New York State Osteopathic Medical Society (NYSOMS) Regional Osteopathic Convention (ROC-NY), MLMIC legal and risk management experts will be presenting on two topics: one related to litigation and the other to social media. This year’s ROC-NY takes place in Hauppauge, New York, on April 12-15.
At 9 a.m. on April 12, the first day of the convention, William Hassett, Esq., from the law firm of Fager Amsler Keller and Schoppmann, LLP, counsel to MLMIC, will describe the sequence of events that occurs when a medical malpractice lawsuit is brought against a physician and what role the physician plays in the defense of the lawsuit. Hassett’s presentation, titled “Anatomy of a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit,” includes information about
- minimizing claims and bolstering defense,
- what to do (and what not to do) when served with legal papers,
- the discovery phases of a lawsuit and
- the sequence of events at trial.
On April 13 at 5:15 p.m., MLMIC Patient Safety and Education Committee Member Salvatore Volpe, MD, will present a risk management perspective on the use of social media in healthcare. Although social media allows healthcare providers to market services and share medical information, there are also a number of concerns associated with social media. These include advertising risks, breaches of patient confidentiality, inappropriate use and distraction in the workplace. In “Managing Risks of Social Media,”Dr. Volpe will
- examine the use of social media in healthcare,
- analyze the positive and negative aspects of social media,
- evaluate potential legal implications on patient privacy/confidentiality and
- describe appropriate use of social media in marketing.
Click here for a full schedule of presentations for this year’s NYSOMS regional convention.
NYSOMS is one of MLMIC’s endorsed partners. For a full list of regional medical society partners and specialty medical society partners, click here.