MLMIC Insurance Company is based in New York state and has specialized in providing professional liability for NY physicians since 1975. After operating independently and as a mutual insurance company for most of its existence, MLMIC was purchased by Berkshire Hathaway in the fall of 2018.
With home offices based in New York City, East Meadow, Syracuse, and Latham, but with staff now working remotely, we continue to be the largest writer of professional medical liability insurance in the State of New York. We insure physicians, dentists, hospitals, and long-term care facilities. We are currently seeking 1-2 candidates for our Actuarial Intern program. Our ideal candidates are mathematically oriented and highly motivated college juniors or seniors who are considering a career in Actuarial Science. The selected candidate(s) would join our small actuarial team with a focus on long-term employment after graduation and upon successful completion of their internship with MLMIC. We offer a competitive salary for qualified candidates.
- Working on a variety of pricing and reserving projects
- Interactions with staff from other departments and disciplines
- Currently a junior or senior pursuing an undergraduate degree, preferably with a focus in Actuarial Science, Statistics, or Mathematics, or related discipline.
- Minimum 3.0 overall GPA.
- Proficient in Excel and Word with some knowledge of Access or Databases.
- Very good quantitative, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to take over an already existing project or newly create one.
- Available for the ‘spring semester of 2021’.
- Pursuing or open to the pursuit of Actuarial exams.
- Programming knowledge ideal especially in Alteryx or similar platforms.
- The ability to convey highly technical and complicated concepts to the non-actuary is highly desired.
As a result of the current health crisis, our actuarial team is now working remotely. Although the candidate(s) would work remotely for an indefinite period, a geographic location in the New York metropolitan area would be a plus. To apply for this position, please apply online or submit your resume to Gabriella Alaimo at firstname.lastname@example.org.