Claims Specialist Trainee – Syracuse area
MLMIC Insurance Company is based in New York state and has specialized in providing professional liability for NY physicians since 1975. After operating independently and as a mutual insurance company for most of its existence, MLMIC was purchased by Berkshire Hathaway in the fall of 2018.
We continue to be the most significant writer of professional medical liability insurance in the State of New York. We provide insurance for physicians, dentists, and hospitals.
We offer a competitive salary for qualified candidates, with the flexibility to work remotely from home while utilizing our offices when necessary.
We have offices in New York City, East Meadow, Syracuse, and Colonie.
The Claims Specialist Trainee position will allow the trainee to gain exposure to multiple functions within the Claims department and obtain valuable skills and experience.
(Position is based in Syracuse, NY)
- Provides support for new case setups, coverage analysis, and submission of letters to policyholders.
- Responsible for file management, OnBase tasks, and Microsoft Outlook activities.
- Assist with diaries and file management for ongoing liability, causation determination, evaluation of damages, and attorney compliance.
- Assist with case resolutions, conferencing, mini claims, mediation, MSSNY, and trials.
- Processes billing, including adjudication of ResolveStar invoices and vendor invoices.
- Limited travel to court proceedings is required.
- Perform other responsibilities as needed.
Education and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Degree in Healthcare preferred.
- 0-1 year of related experience.
- Knowledge of Insurance in Paralegal, Nursing, and Healthcare preferred.
- Preferred license: Casualty & Property Adjuster. (The Candidate will have two years to prep for the exam).
- Proficient oral/written communication skills with the ability to present self in a professional manner.
- Organizational and planning skills are required.
- Strong demonstration of problem-solving, attention to detail, and time management.
- Experience in Microsoft Office is preferred.
- 401(k) with Match
- Health, dental AND vision Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending account
- Life Insurance
- Paid Vacation & Sick time
- Paid Time off
- Generous Holiday Program
Full-time Monday to Friday
Work Location: Remote/occasionally onsite Syracuse NY area including in-person trial monitoring.
Equal Opportunity Employer
MLMIC is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion or creed, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, genetics, physical or mental disability, age, marital status, civil union status, family or parental status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.