Large Account Underwriter
Large Account Underwriter
MLMIC Insurance Company is based in New York state and has specialized in providing professional liability for NY physicians since 1975. After operating independently and as a mutual insurance company for most of its existence, MLMIC was purchased by Berkshire Hathaway in the fall of 2018.
We offer a competitive salary for qualified candidates, with the flexibility to work remotely from home, while utilizing our offices when necessary. We have offices based in New York City, East Meadow, Syracuse, and Colonie.
- Evaluate new business and renewal applications including for large accounts (physician groups, other health care professionals, hospitals, facilities).
- Assess exposure to determine appropriate coverage options and limits.
- Develop premium indications/quotations/proposals in accordance with guidelines, rules, and rates.
- Meet with/present to direct written account contacts/distribution partners.
- Manage book of business within expected customer service and underwriting standards, following escalation requirements within the Company.
- Respond to requests, inquiries, issues, and concerns relating to coverage, pricing/discounts, and other underwriting topics.
- Develop relationships with distribution partners/direct written business contacts.
- Engage and maintain excellent communication with internal team members.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
- Some travel required. May on occasion require some evening and weekend work/travel. May be away from home, up to several days, as necessary
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance or related field
- 5 years underwriting experience in medical professional and general liability or casualty insurance.
- Ability to effectively analyze and interpret coverage forms.
- Decision making skills.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong communication, negotiation, and interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Strong computer skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams, Policy Management and Billing system, Document Management and Workflow system)
- Professional designations preferred: Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU), Registered Professional Liability Underwriter (RPLU)
- NYS Brokers license
- Remote work is available, but New York state residency preferred
- 401(k) with company match
- Additional company funded retirement plan
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Vision insurance
- Paid time off
- Flexible spending account
- Employee engagement & charity events
- Corporate discounts
To learn more about MLMIC, please go to www.mlmic.com. For consideration, please apply online or send your resume to Amy Corcoran, PHR, Human Resources Generalist at email@example.com.