This article was originally printed in our Second Quarter 2022 issue of The Scope: Dental Edition and was authored by Nicole Lombardo, Senior Underwriting Manager with MLMIC Insurance Company. Read more articles from the publication here.
Throughout the pandemic, MLMIC has strived to be a resource and support system to our healthcare heroes by helping them navigate some of the unique challenges of practicing during such an unprecedented time.
Now, with most COVID-19 restrictions being lifted and practices returning to normal, we realize that while your professional liability insurance policy may not be the first thing on your mind, it is important that you review your policy and update underwriting of any changes to ensure proper coverage is in place.
Many dentists had to significantly reduce their hours or close their practices entirely during the pandemic, and their policies were endorsed to reflect these changes in risk. Others have found new office locations, joined groups, or made changes to the services they offer. Please review the following checklist to determine if you should reach out to MLMIC or your liability provider with an update.
- Office Staff — Have you hired additional practitioners or staff?
- Weekly Hours — Have you now resumed full-time hours, or, instead, decided to remain part time permanently?
- Practice Situation — Has your practice situation changed? Have you joined another practice, incorporated your practice, formed a partnership, or are you now sharing office space with others?
- Office Location — Has your office changed its location since your last underwriting update? Do we have your most current office address(es)?
- Services Provided — Have you added or eliminated any services that you provide? Have you started practicing teledentistry?
- Contact Information — Have you updated your home address, preferred phone number, and/or email address recently?
- Communication Preference — Would you like to enroll in paperless communication?
- Reopening of Your Practice — Did you suspend or cancel coverage while your office was closed and you are now reopening?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions and are a MLMIC insured (or would like to be!), please contact us at 800-416-1241 or firstname.lastname@example.org to inform us of the changes.
Many updates can be made by you, 24/7, by accessing our insured portal. In addition to having the ability to access policy documents and invoices, as well as make payments, you can also provide us with updates to your name, contact information (e.g., phone number or email address), and communication preferences. You may sign up, or access your existing account, by visiting www.mlmic.com/dentists and clicking “Log In.”
Need live assistance navigating the portal? Have any questions or concerns? We’re here to help and would love to hear from you. Please contact us at (800) ASK-MLMIC.
If you would like to read other information for dentists, visit our resources page. Visit our blog to read more advice from legal experts, as well as tips for new dentists, industry news and case studies. Follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn for the latest updates.